Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Spreading the Message


"A small act of kindness can make a huge difference."  This is the message that I want to share.  I know these words are true because I have experienced them first-hand.  When I tell people that I fundraise for an orphanage in Africa, they automatically assume that what I do must be enormous and overwhelming. This isn't the case, I keep things simple and I stay focused.   

These are MY small acts of kindness: 1) I talk. - I use any opportunity I can to talk about the orphanage, HOKISA (HOme for Kids In South Africa), and share my experiences.  2) I ask. - When it's appropriate, I ask individuals to help.  Many times I don't have to ask.  On the contrary, many times people ask me how they can help.  I ask them to donate funds or volunteer their time to help with my Messenger Doll Project or our annual fundraiser.  3) I create. - I love art and am easily inspired.  I love to create things out of ordinary objects.  I share my growing creativity and message through my Messenger Doll Project.  4) I have faith. - I don't get frustrated when the going gets tough.  It's not always easy to get people to understand your motivation for the things that you do.  I don't get upset when someone doesn't want to help out, instead, I hope they find their own passions.  I continue to do what I do because I have faith that what I'm doing, makes a difference in the lives of the HOKISA children.

Lately, I've been invited to share my Messenger Doll Project with different Girl Scout Troops.  I enjoy sharing my stories with these elementary-aged girls. I explain to them what my project is, who it benefits, and how they can make a difference. To me, these girls are inspiring. At such a young age they are already working toward helping their local communities, the environment and places all over the world. This year my goal is to tell my story to 1,000 girls.  Periodically, I'll blog about my interactions with the Girl Scout troops and hope you follow along to read about them.    

No comments:

Post a Comment