Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Thus The Title

One year my mother brought home a decorated bottle, fashioned to look like an african woman. She received it as a gift for a donation she made to a non-profit group called Tias Arms. At that time, we already had our first fundraising banquet to benefit the HOKISA orphanage. I wanted to do more for HOKISA. The "doll" my mother brought home that day inspired me and I ended up creating one of my own. I asked for donations of materials, such as bottles (for the body), old clothes and remnant fabric (for the clothes and headdress), beads (for the jewelry) and recyclable bottles/cans (revenues used to purchase foam heads and glue). Many friends were willing to help. I created around 50 dolls for our next fundraising event. Each of the dolls carried a bag that held a special message from one of the HOKISA children. Thus the name, "The Messenger Doll Project". 


No comments:

Post a Comment