Sunday, April 29, 2012

Rotary Youth Leadership Awards (RYLA)

Great news! Last week I won a Rotary Youth Leadership Award (RYLA) and was able to attend the three day RYLA conference. High school students from all over San Diego county attended the conference. I met many amazing people and had the opportunity to hear life-changing and inspiring stories from interesting speakers. 

One message that really stood out to me was "It doesn't matter what happens to you, it matters how you react to it." I began to reflect on the past couple of months and how I have I reacted to certain issues. I was somewhat disappointed in myself. Yes, I've been speaking to kids on how they can help their community. Yes, I've been helping kids in South Africa. I am so grateful for all the support and recognition I've gotten, but I still feel like I haven't done enough. Insane, right? Not so much... 

This conference has encouraged me to expand my project and reach out to more people. I think I've done some good things for others,  but I'm sure I can do so much more. I was given this opportunity to influence people and I plan to take advantage of it. RYLA has taught me to be myself, be a leader, be an inspiration, be a motivator, be an advocate, and be the change I want to see in the world!  

No comments:

Post a Comment